Sponsors cancel booths and parties.
More than a dozen companies are in a scramble, including:
- Canon Inc, a camera maker
- Tokio Marine & Nichido Fire Insurance Co, a unit of Tokio Marine Holdings Inc.
- Ajinomoto (seasonings)
- Swatch Group’s Omega brand, a global sponsor
- Domestic sponsor Eneos Holdings Inc
- Sportswear maker Asics Corp
Some 60 Japanese companies paid more than $3 billion for sponsorship rights and then another $200 million to extend their contracts after the Games were delayed last year due to the pandemic.