Here are a few of the rule changes that I think should be made now, concerning the PA High School Swim & Dive Season for 2020-21. This is the year to ask for some rule changes for high school swimming in the PIAA. Here is what I'm thinking.
1. UNLIMITED amount of SCRIMMAGES.
It has always been dumb to limit the scrimmages to 2 in the pre-season. If a coach at one team gets sick -- allow the assistant to combine forces with another team for the short term. Of course, this is a joint practice. But easier to drop the restrictions on number and time of scrimmages.
2. Drop the requirement of needing 10 swim meets to allow for a team to score points in the district and state meets.
Ten meets should be scheduled, but in reality, if only 1 happens, so be it.
3. Allow for easier entry into district meets.
Perhaps give 1-extra second for 50-yards, 3-extra seconds for every 100-yard race and 6-extra for the 200 and 500 yard races -- across the board, boys and girls, AA and AAA.
4. Allow for Sunday practices.
Local decisions. Spread the kids out more.
5. Allow for unlimited number of invite swim meets with 1, 2, 3 or more teams.
Invites can have multiple heats. And invites can have flexibility for events offered. Official meets need to have officials present. Same order of events, but events can be skipped. So, allows for what had been time trials with one team, and an official, to be a legit opportunity to make a district qualification time.
6. No warm-up day at the PIAA Meet.
Show up and swim.
7. TV coverage for the all the heats at the PIAA meet, more than just the finals.
Add an extra camera. Add live-streaming for fans for $0.
What am I missing?
Season start date?
Well, I'd just allow any squad to practice whenever they wish and call it SKWIM / Water Polo season.
We need to take the pressure off.