Bob had over a 51-year coaching tenure, starting as a Club Coach in the Peoria and Carbondale areas of Illinois. He not only coached at Southern Illinois University, but he also received his undergraduate degree, and also received his Master’s degrees from the College of Education and Human Services from there.
Bob’s college coaching career is as follows:
- 1970-1973 – Swim Coach, Northwestern University
- 1973-1984 – Head Swim Coach, Southern Illinois University
- 1984-1995 – Director of Athlete/Coach Development, United States Swimming
- 1997-2004 – Head Swim Coach, California State University-Bakersfield
- 2004-2010 – Master Coach/Consultant – USA Swimming
As a retired member of the USA-Swimming Master Coach/Consulting Program, he has coached at all levels with 17 swimmers World Ranked in 37 events, two American Record Holders, five NCAA ll Team Championships, seven NCAA II Record Holders, 9 NCAA I Top 20 finishes and six National Independent Championship teams.
He has conducted 120 USA-S Team Excellence Camps for teams with a world ranked underclass swimmer and fine coaching staff, along with over 50 of his Winning Spirit Racing Camps. He has presented to over 30,000 coaches at ASCA, FINA, LSC and H.S. Coaches Associations.
We want everyone to come and help celebrate Bob’s Induction into the ISCA Hall of Fame.
Special Note, besides his Games Gimmicks Challenges, he also was known as the fun coach who distracted pain. But since his retirement, he has also become a very talented artist.